Chapter 1. Little House In the Big Woods - 

After reading this chapter, take a look at the reconstructed Little House in the Big Woods cabin

in Pepin, Wisconsin. 

Take a look at this short video too, so you can really feel like you're there in person!

http://www.lauraingallspepin.com/big-woods-cabin.html

The town of Pepin hosts "Laura Ingalls Wilder Days" in September.

http://www.lauradays.org/

Now, onto discussing this chapter! 

"As far as a man could go to the north in a day, or a week, or a whole month, there was nothing but woods. There were no houses. There were no roads. There were no people. There were only trees and the wild animals who had their homes among them."

Would you want to live in quiet, isolated woods like this? Does it sound idyllic to you, or nightmare-inducing? 

If you read this as a child, do you remember if this passage is comforting, or terrifying? 

"At night, when Laura lay awake in the trundle bed, she listened and could not hear anything at all but the sound of the trees whispering together. Sometimes, far away in the night, a wolf howled. Then he came nearer, and howled again.

It was a scary sound. Laura knew that wolves would eat little girls. But she was safe inside the solid log walls. Her father's gun hung over the door and good old Jack, the brindle bulldog, lay on guard before it. Her father would say,

"Go to sleep, Laura. Jack won't let the wolves in." So Laura snuggled under the covers of the trundle bed, close beside Mary, and went to sleep."

-Carrie

Views: 32

Replies to This Discussion

Great video! I'm hoping to visit the "Little House in the Big Woods" (and other LHOTP sites) this summer, so this was great to watch. 

As for the chapter, living in the quiet woods sounds so peaceful and idyllic. However, I know that realistically, I'm not sure i can be that far away from everyone or supermarkets and such. Although, "as far as man could go in a day/week/month" may only be a few hours by car nowadays, so that might not be so bad.

I did read the book as a child, but I don't remember my feelings then. When I reread it this month, though, I did have a warm feeling of safety. It seemed so comforting and cozy, that I felt like part of the Ingalls family. 

RSS

About...

Lovely Living University is a community offering free classes on homemaking, vintage history, cooking, literature, gardening, entertaining, etiquette, and related topics.

You don't get credit or a grade, just the fun of learning new things and discussing lovely topics.

If you would like to teach a lovely course here, read the Instructor FAQ and then please drop me (Carrie) a message.

New in at Citron Shop

Hallmark North Pole Plush Santa Claus Stuffed Toy

Hallmark North Pole Plush Santa Claus Stuffed Toy Continue reading

© 2018   Created by Carrie Campbell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service