Laura bundles up in extra clothing for such a cold ride home. Mr. Brewster offers for Almanzo to spend the night, but Almanzo has livestock to take care of back home and must return. 

Almanzo has to stop often to scrape ice off the horses' noses so they can breathe ! 

Laura is shaking from the cold, and Almanzo is getting tired and clumsy. I hadn't realized these rides were so dangerous! Laura starts falling asleep and Almanzo has to shake her awake.

Laura has trouble getting out of the sleigh and walking! The family warms Laura up, rubbing her feet and giving her hot ginger tea. But I'm feeling bad for poor Almanzo, going home alone to his cold house and going out in the cold to take care of his animals!

Who remembers how cold it was when Almanzo started out?

Who remembers what Cap Garland said to Almanzo that spurred Almanzo to make the dangerous trip anyway? :)

Carrie

Views: 9

Replies to This Discussion

The mercury was all down in the bulb when Almanzo left. Cap said "God hates a coward!"

This part of the book made me giggle - Cap Garland, what a character! I could totally picture him ribbing Almanzo. Although goading someone to do something so dangerous and to risk a 15 year old girl's life in the process isn't very nice I guess!

Grace

I see your point,  but was Laura was pretty much of her own mind,  at least she seemed to be all through the books. She was a tough cookie, and Almanzo gave her the choice to stay at Brewsters. I think I would have gone with Almanzo,  too, though,  knowing how unwelcoming they were.

Grace Paigen said:

This part of the book made me giggle - Cap Garland, what a character! I could totally picture him ribbing Almanzo. Although goading someone to do something so dangerous and to risk a 15 year old girl's life in the process isn't very nice I guess!

Grace

RSS

About...

Lovely Living University is a community offering free classes on homemaking, vintage history, cooking, literature, gardening, entertaining, etiquette, and related topics.

You don't get credit or a grade, just the fun of learning new things and discussing lovely topics.

If you would like to teach a lovely course here, read the Instructor FAQ and then please drop me (Carrie) a message.

New in at Citron Shop

The Republic of Tea Iced Tea – Blackcurrant and Rosemary

The Republic of Tea Iced Tea Blackcurrant and Rosemary Continue reading

© 2018   Created by Carrie Campbell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service