Laura bravely begins her first day of teaching!

Why is Mrs. Brewster slightly more friendly in the morning - any ideas? She sure isn't much of a talker though is she?

I was reading recently that before the advent of cold cereals, most Americans ate some sort of potatoes for breakfast every day:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/secret-ingredient-kelloggs-co...

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/06/how-marketers-...

I thought it was nice of Mr. Brewster to go heat up the schoolroom so Laura didn't have to go in even earlier to get  the classroom warm.

Was anyone surprised at the small number of children Laura would be paid $40 to teach?

Three of the children are working their way through McGuffey's Fourth Reader. (If you're curious, take a peek at the McGuffey's Fourth Reader link below)

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/14880/pg14880-images.html

How did you feel when Clarence was testing Laura's authority with his shenanigans at the blackboard?

-Carrie

Views: 16

Replies to This Discussion

I wasn't really surprised at the amount of children -- I would like to think that it gave both Mr. Brewster and Laura comfort knowing that the school was small, and it sounds like they really needed a teacher. Plus, they were paying Laura for her teaching services, no matter if there were 5 kids or 50. I'm coming at this from a teacher point of view -- my classes can range anywhere from 11 kids to 35, depending on the grade and if classes are combined. And I get paid the same no matter how many kids I teach...

My first reaction to reading about Clarence's acting up was "That's it?" Then again, the kids I teach nowadays are a LOT different than the kids of the 1800s. However, I thought Laura handled the situation very well for a new, young teacher. 

Maybe Mrs. Brewster needed a good night's sleep. :)

I thought Clarence was being a nuisance and didn't like that Laura had no options or backup should he continue to defy her authority.

Beth, that's a good point about Laura not having backup. Nowadays teachers have other teachers and principals for help and support as needed, but back then Laura had no one and had to figure out a solution by herself. I guess if Clarence really became a nuisance, she could have gone to his parents. Back then they never questioned the teacher!

Yes, it does seem like parents were different back then in that respect. I think it was Farmer Boy when they talked how some of the bigger boys thrashed the teacher, and it was mentioned one even died (if I remember correctly?) I can't even imagine! In that way, it seemed potentially worse for teachers back then.

Kathleen said:

Beth, that's a good point about Laura not having backup. Nowadays teachers have other teachers and principals for help and support as needed, but back then Laura had no one and had to figure out a solution by herself. I guess if Clarence really became a nuisance, she could have gone to his parents. Back then they never questioned the teacher!

RSS

About...

Lovely Living University is a community offering free classes on homemaking, vintage history, cooking, literature, gardening, entertaining, etiquette, and related topics.

You don't get credit or a grade, just the fun of learning new things and discussing lovely topics.

If you have a college degree and would like to teach a lovely course here, read the Instructor FAQ and then please drop me (Carrie) a message.

New in at Citron Shop

Lenox French Perle Groove Serve Bowl – Ice Blue

Lenox French Perle Groove Serve Bowl - Ice Blue Continue reading

© 2017   Created by Carrie Campbell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service